Carvers Application Information
Applications are now open!
The closing date is 19th March 2023. The draw will take place on 26th March 2023.
To apply to compete at the 20th Annual Carve Carrbridge please complete this online form .
If you need this in a word document format or other please email [email protected]
Health & Safety
It is important that safe working practices are observed at all times in accordance with UK Health & Safety Law and recognised best practice. The Organisers therefore reserve the right to exclude anyone who they consider to be unsafe or a danger to others.
UK carvers will be required to produce a copy of their Certificate of Competence in the maintenance and use of chainsaws;
All Carvers must have Public Liability Insurance for £5,000,000 in order to meet the requirements of the Public Entertainment License issued by the Local Authority.
All overseas carvers should record their experience in their C.V which should be emailed to [email protected]
Dependent upon competition entrants the Novice competition may be run again this year. In order to be able to participate, novices must be able to meet the entry requirements as outlined above.
The competitors will only be allowed to use chainsaws to remove wood and to finish the carving. Specialist carving bars will be allowed. No other power tools or hand tools will be permitted.
- The only form of enhancement to the carving allowed is burning.
- Carvers must provide their own saws.
- Chainsaw personal protective equipment (PPE) must be worn at all times when using a chainsaw. The PPE will comply with FISA guide 301 using petrol driven chainsaws.
Your safety clothing should include Jacket, Trousers, Safety Boots, eye protection, safety gloves and ear defenders.
Each carver is to be responsible for the provision of their own safety clothing and PPE.
- Any working platforms used must be of safe construction and prevent any accidental fall which could result in injury.
Carvers are invited to contact the many local accommodation providers within the village to make their own arrangements. Please see the Carrbridge website for further details: www.carrbridge.com
Shared Accommodation can be organised and should be indicated at point of application
The wood will measure approximately 22 inches (56cm) diameter by 8 feet (244cm) long and it is hoped will be Sitka Spruce. This will be confirmed to entrants prior to the event. Selection will be on a first come first served basis. You may exchange logs with other carvers. It may help to arrive early and have a good look at the available wood and its location.
- This must be achieved from within your selected log and the off cuts.
- Once you have your log you may debark your log and draw on it. You may also make one cut only for example to or to cut it to length.
- You can also have it stood up on the morning of the competition; however carving must not start until the advertised times.
- You may carve any design you like, but please remember the sculptures are also viewed by members of the public with children.
- The organisers therefore reserve the right to remove any sculpture considered offensive.
- Six judges will mark each carving out of 10 and the carver with the highest overall score out of a maximum 60 points will be declared the winner.
- The Chief Judge will have the casting vote in the event of a draw.
- All pieces will be judged on originality, technical difficulty and artistic merit.
Auction of Pieces
- Following the judging and the prize giving the finished works of art will be sold at auction starting with the first placed and then in descending order.
- All proceeds from the auction will go to the carver. If a carver chooses not to sell his work it can be withdrawn from the auction before the bidding starts.
- Note your carving must be auctioned as one lot, you may not split your carving into two or more lots.
- Once the main pieces have been auctioned the ‘quick carve’ sculptures will be auctioned. In this case all proceeds will go to benefit the local community.
For information about how we use your data please click here